If you find what you suspect might be mold growth in your home whether it is on the walls of your bedroom, in the basement or the crawl space of your home or even in your closet it is always wise to identify the type of mold before attempting any kind of clean up.
Why? Well, some molds are pretty harmless, maybe causing some minor allergies such as itchy eyes, headaches or irritating some existing illness such as asthma. Others can be dangerously toxic and should only be cleaned up by professionals.
To enable you to determine mold types in your home there are an array of different home mold testing kits on the market. As ever the choice can be confusing with certain kits designed for a specific type of test.
So, in an effort to help you decide what kind of mold testing kit you should purchase shown below are some different types of kit and an explanation of their uses.
- The Lift Tape Kit
This kind of kit is perfect if you are already certain that the staining you have found is undoubtedly mold but still need to identify the type. It can be used to test the surfaces of floors, walls, ceilings, furniture and so forth.
This testing kit could not be easier to use, simply peel back the tape from the tacky surface and press the sticky side of the tape gently onto the mold surface. Then, simply replace the covering over the sticky surface and take it off for laboratory testing.
- The Instant Kit
This testing kit will confirm immediately – well, in about 10 minutes to be more accurate – whether the growth you are concerned about definite mold. What it does not tell you is the actual type of mold; you will still require laboratory analysis to determine whether it is toxic and/or potentially damaging to health.
Once again this mold kit is extremely simple to use. Remove the swab out of the tube – make sure you don’t touch the end of the swab. Swab the suspect area and then place the swab back in the tube. Shake the test tube and leave for approximately 10 minutes then check the color against the color chart which is provided in the kit.
- The Viable Kit.
The Viable mold test kit is probably the one which has most uses for a mold testing kit which does not need laboratory analysis.
This kit can be used to establish whether there is mold present and also the strain of mold. You can also to use it in testing the air quality of your property and the heating system.
This mold kit consists of a Petri dish with gel in it and a swab. To carry out the test simply swab the suspected mold then rub the swap over the gel in the dish, replace the lid and allow it to germinate for a few of days – usually anything from 3 to 7 days.
If you wish to use it to test the air quality of a room you will require 2 mold test kits. Remove lids off both – place one in the room and the second should be placed outside but still close to the room you are testing.
Leave the kits in place for about one hour before replacing the lids. In approximately 7 days you should have some mold growth.
Next, compare the results. If both produce the same strains of mold growth then the mold found in your room is merely representative of what is found in the general environment. If differences are found and the Petri dish from the room is displaying additional or different strains of mold growth it is certainly wise to have it checked out at a laboratory.
To check your heating system, close all vents with the exception of one which is furthest away from the heating/cooling system open. Switch on the system on the maximum setting for around 10 minutes with the mold test kit attached to the open vent. Once the 10 minutes is up close the dish and again allow it to sit for 7 days maximum.
If you discover that there is significant mold growth in the Petri dish used to test the heating/cooling system it would be sensible to have it properly checked out at a laboratory.
As a homeowner, you want to keep your property well-maintained. However, in spite of taking adequate precautions, you have noticed a damp path or musty smell in your basement. Sometimes the basement becomes flooded because of the washing machine or sump pump back up. Whatever the reason, you need to obtain reliable, specialist contractors who can dry the basement without fleecing you. Before you retain a contractor be sure to ask a few questions.
While experts might have the sharp technology to back them up, often a contractor with years of experience will be more reliable. The contractor will personally know the terrain, types of house in the area, and can guarantee time-bound, correct solutions to your problem. With an experienced contractor, you will be able to obtain references and inspect their work while in progress.
When you retain a contractor to deal with Basement Leak Repair in New Jersey, ensure that they have workers compensation. In fact, it is best if your name is also included in the insurance papers. Otherwise, you will be liable for any injuries sustained on your property by the workers or their friends who have come to help them out. It is best to ask the contractor to provide you with a copy of their worker’s compensation document.
A reliable foundation repair contractor in New Jersey will not offer just a verbal guarantee. Select a contractor who is willing to offer specific warranties in writing. A general guarantee might not cover the cost of material or labor for fixing any future problems. A warranty that clearly specifies exactly what is covered and for how long is much better. The contractor should use materials that have transferable warranties so that the value of your home is enhanced if you want to sell it later.
A shrewd way to ensure that the contractor you want to retain to dry your basement is competent is to check with the Better Business Bureau. If the contractor is a long-standing member of this organization and has a solid and noticeable record, their value and credibility just became solidified. Also, ask the contractor if they are certified members of other trade organizations. The plumbers and technicians they send to work on your home should also be certified by the local authorities. Such contractors will also be able to guide you about the required permission from local authorities before the plumbing work commences.
Financing and Cash Payments
In case you require financing to retain a contractor to dry your basement, a reliable contractor will be able to help you negotiate financing with an appropriate lender. They will not offer the financing themselves. Some unreliable contractors offer to reduce rates if you pay in cash. This can be risky and should be avoided as cash payments are difficult to prove and keep track of.
All contractors will claim that they will clean up after the work is completed. However, it is best to check with current and past customers to understand exactly what the contractor you are considering means by cleaning up. Only superb and virtuous contractors will ensure that your basement is at least as clean as it was before they started the work.
There is a high possibility of having wet or damp basements because the soil conditions are different in the spaces that are situated below the ground. The foundation of your basement is laid when your home is being constructed and while that is done the space that is there around the foundation, it filled with earth, once the laying is done. Though, the earth around this space is not packed very tightly unlike the other spaces. And hence, this is the reason why too much water is accumulated in the earth which further encourages wetness or dampness.
The water enters the basement because it is facing the hydrostatic pressure or you can also say the pressure that exerts from the extra water. There is no fixed way for it to enter, it can make its passage through anywhere, be it holes, joints, floor, and cracks in the wall or it can even come through concrete.
And the once this starts to happen it is best to get the basement waterproofing done as soon as you can because if not it would lead to a lot of problems like formation of mold around the space, reduction of space on the floor available, hike in the bills of heating and cooling, health problems etc.
Benefits of hiring a contractor for basement waterproofing;
- You will come across a lot of contractors who will be more than happy to do your basement drying and waterproof it. But it is necessary to take care of the fact that in a bigger picture and something that is more pocket-friendly, it is best to look for something that is an expert in their job and comes from a branded company for waterproofing.
- They will be much better at dealing with your problems and provide you with better solutions for waterproofing.
- If there is any kind of water logging around the basement soil of your house, they will provide you with drains that will suck out the water from around the basement and even under it.
- And further, they are going to install a pump that is going to divert the water far from your basement.
- No matter how difficult the task is, if you have hired a contractor that is skilled, they will easily be able to handle your situation.
- And before they give an okay to your basement they will thoroughly go through the walls and floors to make sure there are no cracks and seals left to fix. And provide you with the dryness of your basement for a longer span of time.
All you have to do is hire someone who is a professional. And if there are any issues even in future they are going to be there to resolve it. You can do your market research; ask family or friends if they can recommend someone they know well for this job. You can also go online and check for a list of companies that provide these services to you. Say for example you come across the services of Wayne Basement Waterproofing Company; go through their reviews and feedbacks from the customers. Also, try to get in touch with a few to understand if they are satisfied with the services or not.
And once you are done doing all this, you are surely going to find a contractor that is a skilled expert and would meet all your requirements and fancies for basement waterproofing just the right way and also in budget that suits you well.
Wet basements are not just a disturbance; they may likewise be perilous to your health. A wet basement can support the growth of mold and buildup which may prompt the medical conditions. These conditions incorporate endless sinusitis, asthma and a debilitated immune system.
By treating your wet basement, you can evade these conditions. Looking a contractor who knows how to deal with this situation is imperative. However you have to realize what to search for in basement waterproofing companies before continuing.
Basement waterproofing companies ought to have prepared experts who comprehend the issue. Get some information about licensing, holding, bonding and certification. Discuss your problems with the experts as he must be able to disclose the issues to you in layman’s terms. If you don’t get anything, the experts must be able to elaborate it without utilizing technical terminology. Here are a few hints to enable you to pick the correct basement waterproofing company:
License – It is essential to check the enrollment and license of the organization. If an organization has all the applicable records and licenses, it demonstrates that it has productive assets to deal with various sorts of waterproofing needs. Ensure that the organization is appropriately fortified and guaranteed.
Company History and Services Offered – Before you pick an organization, it’s constantly fitting to do a little research about it. Check the experience of the organization in taking care of various sorts of basement issues, the notoriety it appreciates in the market and the sorts of materials it employments.
Referrals – You ought to approach the organization for referrals of the past customers they have worked for. You should converse with a couple of them about their involvement with the organization’s work. This can enable you in choosing which to organization to choose. An expert organization will be more than willing to give you referrals. You can likewise check the evaluations and audits of the organization online to get a thought of what individuals think about the services offered by the organization.
Tools and Materials Used – Different organizations have diverse strategies for managing an issue and uses distinctive devices and procedures to address issues. While picking a basement waterproofing organization you should check the nature of materials and devices it uses to take care of issues.
Pricing – When you will converse with various organizations during your search, they will give you an expected cost for the venture. Analyze the costs given by various organizations to know which is putting the best deal.
Written Contract – A written contract is fundamental to ensure the interests of both the parties. Appropriately read every one of the subtle elements of the agreement. It ought to incorporate every one of the points of interest of the work to be done, assessed time and cost. The agreement ought to likewise contain the subtle elements of the certification and guarantee offered by the organization.
You must be somewhat cautious while picking a storm basement waterproofing organization. Following the tips specified above will help you in settling on an educated decision.
There are a lot of valuable things that we keep stored up in our basements. So it is imperative that the basement of our homes is free from rainwater stagnation or any other issue that can potentially damage our belongings. Hence, a wise step to take is to hire a waterproofing contractor who can take care of all these problems or make sure that in future there is no such issue that could pop up. Also, in the long run, this will help you in increasing the value of the property in case you want to sell it.
There are a lot of ways through which you can pick the best basement waterproofing company for yourself. But keep in mind that it is going to prove heavy on your budget if you do not hire on at the right time. Here are a few tips that you can follow if you want to save your space, from damage and also not spend too much money on the repair;
- Get a credential check done. Before you decide to hire a home renovating contractor, make sure you check if they possess a valid permit to work in that area or not. Also in addition to that check what company is the contractor associated to, this is going to help you in guessing the background and market stand of the contractor.
- Check onto the past experiences. While you are doing the research about the contractor also make sure you check on the clients they have worked with, it is imperative to now the client base because that will help you contact them and let you know whether or not are they satisfied with the work and if there is any problem that they faced. If the firm that you hire for your work is doing a fair business, they will have no apprehensions in sharing their client base with you and also help you contact a few so that you get satisfied at your end with their work. You call some of the customers and have a discussion on the completion of the job and the quality too.
- Have complete information about the warranty. Before you take a decision to hire a contractor for yourself, one of the most important practice is to go through the complete contract that has been prepared by the, ask them as many doubts as you can, they are bound to explain you everything. Get clarity on all terms and conditions, generally, the contract is supposed to be clear, crisp and on point.
- Ask for the estimate beforehand. Invite the concerned contractor to your place and understand all the ideas and suggestions that you want to exchange to fairly understand, what exactly the contractor is planning to do with your basement. Ideally, the contractor should be going through each and every corner of the basement and check what all are the problem there and discuss and let you know how is he planning to fix them all. A professional contractor will always have a fair idea of the amount it is going to take on all the fixing and he would very easily be able to give you an estimate. It eventually is their job to meet the budget you have and help you with the fixing within that, there is a reason why they are being hired, so you have to let them serve that purpose.
So these are the few points that you need to keep in mind if you are looking to hire a basement waterproofing contractor, it’ll be a great idea to hire one at the earliest before it starts to burn a hole in your pocket.
Waterproofing the important parts like basement and bathrooms in the house is extremely important, and is yet not taken seriously by homeowners. It is well ignored that these water leakages can cause severe damage to the building. It not just ruins the appearance of your house but also causes defects in the structure. But it is very unfortunate that y the time w notice the water leakage in the interiors of our building, the exterior of it has been already damaged.
There is a list of several reasons as to why there is water leakage in the building like trapped moisture in the insulation, overheating, rains, snow blizzards etc. and these can have an effect that doesn’t go very easily. It is important for us to take measures to avoid any such damage in our building by getting it waterproofed at the right time of the construction. And to avoid unwanted stress, hire professional to the job. There are a plethora of options from which you can pick what suits the best to your needs. Find a licensed and experienced professional who will provide you the services without burning a hole in your pocket.
There are a lot of advantages of hiring an experienced professional for the waterproofing of your building. And if you are thinking why you would need a professional, here are a few reasons why: –
- Experience and Expertise Matters: the staff members that are provided by these professional contractors are always with a trained skill set to do their job well. They will immediately locate the root cause of your problem and fix it accordingly. They are in the capacity of facing any situation anytime; though it will be a bit time consuming it will all be worth it in the end. They have upgraded with the right equipment always. And based on their experience professionals can advise you with the best waterproofing advice. So rather than making this a DIY project and end up spending more in the future, get the right people to do the job well.
- Utilization of Latest Technologies: the main benefit of hiring a professional is getting it done by the best technology and equipment. Since they have a lot of experience they know exactly what and how to fix your problem and make sure that it does not boomerang later either. So you are sure in your head to be using the best services for waterproofing in the most efficient and economical manner.
- Detailed Quotation: this is one of the highlight reasons why people have gone for professional waterproofing services. Once these trained experts have gone through the loopholes and problems in your building they will tell you exactly how much money you will have to spend and how can you save the best. And this majorly helps you in planning your expenditure accordingly.
- Quality Control: the quality of the material used by these waterproofing contractors will be high and it will make sure that the building is repaired in the best possible way. This will further save the building from any potential damage. And also there will be a warranty of their services, so in case there is a problem you don’t have to worry about that later.
- They Provide Insured Services: you will be insured while taking the services and that is always better since it helps you in avoiding any monetary damage later. So whenever you hire a contractor, make sure they provide services that are insured.
- Monetary Benefits: these services are a onetime investment. It might come across as costly but eventually, it will save you from unnecessary future investments.
Always remember, it’s better to be safe than sorry. So, it is always a good idea to waterproof you building for your greater good in a longer run. Hire the most reliable, pocket-friendly and efficient contractors, who provide the best services and meet all your requirements under your budget.
Got a Basement Water Proofing New Jersey Issue?
Basement waterproofing New Jersey is not something any homeowner necessarily wants to think about. Basement waterproofing is defined as preventing water from penetrating into your basement area. Basements waterproofing is commonly used on cellars where Structural problem is vulnerable to water penetration. Basement waterproofing can minimize water infiltration and prevent its growth. Basement waterproofing is a technique used to stop water from coming into a building’s basement. Got a Basement Water Proofing New Jersey Issue?
Searching for Basement Waterproofing New Jersey? Today happens to be your lucky day as I possess the ability to share that we specialize in Basement Waterproofing NJ, so you need not look any further.
The majority of people start off looking on the internet when looking to employ industry professionals especially if their new to the area or just don’t have a lot references that they can go by. The Truth is, there are fly by night companies that can take your hard earned money usually run by a bunch of unlicensed and unskilled imbeciles who know nothing about the industry they’re in, Trust me I know. Read More